Learning in the early years lays the foundation for later life. It is well known that quality kindergarten programs improve subsequent learning, health and behaviour, with positive impacts extending into adult life.
For Aboriginal children, kindergarten programs that are respectful of cultural beliefs and practices are particularly important.
Three and Four Year Old Kinder for Aboriginal Children
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children aged three and four-years old can access up to ten hours a week of a funded early childhood program planned and delivered by a qualified early childhood teacher. Aboriginal children will therefore have access to two years of a funded kindergarten program prior to commencing school.
For more information on funded kindergarten for three and four-year-old Aboriginal children, call the Koorie Education Coordinator at the DEECD regional office closest to you.
- Barwon South Western Region 5225 1000 (Geelong)
- Grampians Region 5337 8444 (Ballarat)
- Eastern Metropolitan Region 9265 2400 (Glen Waverley)
- Gippsland Region 5127 0400 (Moe)
- Hume Region 5761 2100 (Benalla)
- Loddon Mallee Region 5440 3111 (Bendigo)
- Northern Metropolitan Region 9488 9488 (Coburg)
- Southern Metropolitan Region 9794 3555 (Dandenong)
- Western Metropolitan Region 9291 6500 (Footscray)