Financial Assistance and Support
Most TAFE courses involve fees of some sort. Information on course fees can be found at: www.education.vic.gov.au/victorianskillsgateway/Students/Pages/fees-funding-and-financial-support.aspx
Indigenous Completions Initiative - in many cases Indigenous students can undertake their courses at reduced fees. Information about TAFE fees can be found at: www.education.vic.gov.au/training/learners/vet/Pages/feeconcession.aspx#indigenous
For Indigenous secondary or tertiary student or a full-time Australian Apprentice, Abstudy may help students stay at school or go on to further studies. Abstudy includes a fortnightly living allowance and other payments to help with the costs of studying. Find out more at: www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/abstudy.htm
Student loans under the Government HECS/ HELP programs are also available to assist students to participate in TAFE, University and some private registered training organisations. Information on student loans can be found at: www:studyassist.gov.au/sites/StudyAssist/
Some TAFEs and Universities offer scholarships that are sometimes linked to study in a particular area. Go to the TAFE or University website for specific information.
The following are direct links to scholarship pages.
- LaTrobe University (This site also provides information on Commonwealth Government scholarships)
- Australian Catholic University
- Deakin University
- Monash University (This site also provides information on other scholarships and cadetships)
- Swinburne University of Technology
- University of Ballarat
- University of Melbourne
- Victoria University
Some scholarships are available from organisations for study at your chosen institution.
- Victorian Department of Human Services - for scholarships associated with training or higher education in health and community services.
- Trinity College - residential college at the University of Melbourne, a range of scholarships with some covering all accommodation costs.
For information on postgraduate course scholarships explore:
- Joint Academic Scholarship Online Network (JASON) - JASON is a search engine that contains information about postgraduate scholarships for Australian students wishing to study at home or abroad, and for international students wishing to study in Australia.